Monday, November 2, 2015

Who am I?

I bring 12 answers to the question, "Who am I?"

1. I was chosen. I was adopted as an infant by the most loving parents a person could ask for. I'm very grateful they chose me and raised me with unconditional love and support, even when I made dumb mistakes. I continue to be close to them and lean on them in times of need...like when I have questions about what our insurance policies mean or when I need advice about curtains. I had the opportunity to meet my birth mom before she passed away and I am grateful for that chance as well. I know many adopted people don't get it.

Family means a lot to me. 

2. I am a reader. I enjoy reading fiction and nonfiction alike. If I can't put it down, I won't. I've been known to read during important events such as the World Series. If a book is good enough, I'll stay up all night until I've read it through. I tend to be in one of two categories at any given time: I have nothing at all to read, or I have a giant stack of books due back to the library and not enough time to read them all. (Check me out on Good Reads.)

3. I am a writer. Ever since I learned how to form the letters, I've taken pen to page and written in journals. I plan to share some excerpts from my earlier writing. I think you'll find it humorous. As a kid, I had plenty of ideas for books that I would write. In high school, I won a free prom package (dress, dinner, everything) when I entered an essay contest. My writing has changed as I've grown up, but my love of words has always been there. 

4. I am a sister. My brother Matt is the most loyal person I know. He's been my friend and protector since I was a kid. We're both weird, in different ways, but we make it work. Family is a fluid thing for me. I also inherited his little brother, and discovered two sisters, in the past few years, thanks to the wonders of adoption. There are two more brothers out there that I have yet to meet. Maybe one day I will. 

Sometimes he dresses as a pirate and goes to convenience stores. 

5. I am uncoordinated. My spatial reasoning is terrible too. For these reasons I did not enjoy sports much growing up (except volleyball) and I was able to hit a tree, mailbox, and several other things with my car as a teen. I have never in my life backed into a parking spot. Sometimes, I ask my husband to back the car out of the garage for me so I don't hit anything. 

6. I am a nerd. I was an anime nerd as a teen. I have the Sailor Moon dolls in my basement to prove it. I wish I could transport my 14-year-old self to today so she could enjoy the library's wide selection if manga. I'm not really into anime anymore, but I think I still fit the nerd label pretty well. I know every word to both Ghostbusters movies. I was a school-loving straight A student through high school and college (until that summer Sociology course where I apparently bombed a test and got a B in the class). I become obsessed with book and TV characters and I am pretty anti-sports. 

7. I am a person of faith. I was raised Catholic, attended Catholic schools and was married in the Catholic church. Now my family and I attend a Methodist church and I love it. We randomly started attending because it was across the street from our house (among other reasons) but the more I learn about Methodism, the more I realize how much sense it makes for our family. I'm grateful to have a church family that helps me grow in faith.

8. I am a wife. I married the love of my life when I was 21. We met in high school and I knew he was perfect for me before we were even dating. I am grateful to that sweet little baby who helped us to see that we belonged together, even if things weren't going to unfold according to our plans. Tim is my weirdly perfect best friend and I look forward to spending the next 75 years by his side, enjoying/making fun of his quirks.

The only day in my life that I've ever worn a tiara. 

9. I am a mom. I became a parent at the tender age of 22 and have spent the past seven years growing and embracing that role. I stay home with my two daughters and I love our time together.

10. I am a teacher. I've always loved teaching. I've worked at after school care programs and as a substitute. Sometimes, kids are just cooler than adults. I went to school to become a teacher. I even got a Masters degree in Curriculum & Instruction. I never thought I'd be a homeschooling parent, but here I am. 

11. I am silly. I love to laugh. I tend to look at everyday things in an obscure way. I aspire to bring laughter into my life and the lives of those I care about. I love sitcoms. I love ridiculous internet memes. I love Buzzfeed Quizzes that can tell me which Hogwarts professor would be my drinking buddy. Sometimes I laugh at farts. I am immature and tend to giggle when no other adult would dare.

We are kind of a weird bunch. 

12. I am human. I've had some struggles in my life, but, looking back, I have grown from every single one of them. I am not perfect. I make mistakes. I say stupid things. I can be selfish. I tend to err on the side of saying too much. But that's okay because if I were perfect, I wouldn't be any fun. I wouldn't be me. 

So that's me, in a nutshell. Who are you?



Today is Day 2 of the 30 Day Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. Cool idea! Thanks for introducing yourself!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I love reading what you write. You do have a very unique perspective on "everyday things", and it is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot that you are a cutes. Lexi drew your name out of a bowl... Twice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to get to know you. Love this. I am also super uncoordinated I have broke just about every bone in my body at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and a lovely way to introduce yourself.

    ReplyDelete