Sunday, November 8, 2015

Reflections on 8 Consecutive Days of Writing

This is the 8th consecutive day that I have written in my blog. I have never attempted to write in my blog for this many days in a row, on the contrary, I used to avoid blogging on consecutive days. I thought that doing so would be irritating to my readers. I've learned that that's not the case.

The more I write, the more people read my writing. I have over 1,000 hits this month. Considering my previous blog was live for over two years and only reached 4,000 hits...well, I think I'm doing something better this time around! This week I have also tried to put myself in the reader's shoes. If I were following a blog that I enjoyed, I would not be irritated if they started writing more often, instead, I'd be happy to have more to read. I've stopped worrying about writing too much. In the grand scheme of things, my one blog post per day is just a drop in the bucket of what people are reading online.

I've enjoyed the opportunity to explore different writing topics. I've discovered that ideas come to me at the most random times, especially when I am trying to fall asleep. I've started keeping my phone on so I can quickly save drafts of whatever ideas I come up with. Some of them are going nowhere, but others have potential. It's exciting to be able to use my brain creatively!

I am still trying to find my voice. As a part of that journey, I am trying to find out more about my audience. I'd love for you to take the poll in the right hand column of this page.

As a stay-at-home-mom (I think "momming" is my full time job) I tend to write about topics that I think appeal most to women, mothers especially. I don't know if I have tons of brand new ideas about parenting, but I do have my unique perspective. That being said, I don't particularly want to write about parenting all the time. Just like I don't believe that moms want to read about parenting all the time. So I am thinking I might be blogging for moms who enjoy distractions from the daily grind of wiping butts, breaking up fights over cartoon shows, and listening to the incessant, sometimes irrelevant chatter of children.

This makes me wonder if I should rebrand my blog. I don't particularly want to since I just started this new blog. While we might not all be writers, I think most busy moms can relate to the concept of "Too long, didn't ________" as a play on not having time to do all the things one wants to do. So that's something to think about. I've got time. There are still plenty of days left in November!

It's been a good week. I'm having fun writing and editing and experimenting with blogging. I've got birthday parties for my kiddo this week so I'm sure that will provide some fodder for my writing. I'm also cooking up another article to submit to Scary Mommy, and I'm excited about this one.

We'll have to see where time takes me!

This post was brought to you by a squirrel eating a pumpkin.

This post is part of the 30 Day Challenge.  

1 comment:

  1. I am also finding that the more I write the more people read... obvious once you start to think about it I suppose! Glad you are finding your writing mojo!

    ReplyDelete