Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Pumping Iron


Ever since my 4-year-old was born, I have not felt entirely like myself.

I've experienced exhaustion, anxiety, and irritability in varying degrees unlike I'd ever felt before she was born. I haven't felt that great and it has been frustrating. I've been to a variety of doctors in search of answers and have tried different medications without finding anything that got me back to feeling like myself in the long term.

I think I might finally be on to something.

Over the summer, I had my blood checked and discovered that my iron was freakishly low, so I've been on supplements since then. At a recheck in November, my ferritin level had climbed from 4 to 22, so I'm making progress, but I still have a ways to go. According to my doctor (and quite a bit of research I've read) a woman's ferritin should be a minimum of 30, with 50-100 being better.

The other day, my husband Tim sent me this article called The Missing Element in Female Fitness - The Iron Deficiency Epidemic, and I wanted to share it with you all because I found it to be really informative and pertinent to women's health.

The write explains that there are subtle levels of having low iron, and that even a slight deficiency can cause the symptoms I was experiencing. I'd been feeling exhausted and irritable (outside of what is normal for a mom of two) for quite some time and had had so much trouble pinpointing exactly what was causing it.

The writer goes on the explain the difference between adequate and optimal iron levels and that many general practitioners differ as to what level of iron they consider to be fine for women. I've been to a multitude of doctors in the past few years, and this was the first time my iron level was mentioned. I'm wondering how long I've had low iron for and if it is the main cause of the issues I've been dealing with off and on since Lydia was born over four years ago. Time will tell, I suppose. I hope I continue to feel better as the iron stores in my body climb to where they need to be.

By sharing what I have gone through, I hope you're moved to do a few things.

First, I think having a physical and blood work done on a regular basis is important. Especially if you aren't feeling like yourself. Our insurance completely covered a physical for Tim and I both this year. My doctor asked questions pertaining to nearly every area of my body and in turn, helped me solve a few other minor issues I've been experiencing but never would have thought to ask about.

Second, I think it is crucial that we busy moms take the time to take care of ourselves. Approach your health issues the way you'd approach your kids' health issues- do your research, speak with your doctor about your concerns, and take care of yourself. Get enough sleep. Give yourself time to relax now and then. Go easy on yourself when you are feeling under the weather. You can't take care of your family if you don't take care of yourself. Set a good example for your kids.

Third, don't give up on feeling good. If you, like me, have had issues you've been struggling to overcome for a while, I understand how frustrating that can be. Sometimes it just feels like it'd be easiest to accept feeling crummy and give up on finding a cause. Please don't give up on yourself. Keep searching until you find a doctor who is willing to stick with you until you find answers. 

So, my iron is (hopefully) still on its way up and I am feeling much better than I have in a long time. The quest for wellness is hard, but worth it. I want to encourage you to seek out a state of feeling good. If you don't feel good, life can be a real struggle. And sometimes, it doesn't take much to feel better. Get a physical, have some blood work done, and see if there is anything out of whack. Consider it a Christmas present to yourself.

Life is too short to accept feeling crummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment