Thursday, December 10, 2015

Faces of Homeschooling - The Lackey Family


Welcome to another edition of Faces of Homeschooling! 

This week, we're chatting with Gretchen Lackey. Gretchen and her husband Brad have two children whom they homeschool, Evan (6 and a half) and Lauren (3 and a half). Their family will also welcome Baby Lackey in January. 

While balancing homeschooling and her family's needs, Gretchen also runs a daycare in their home. How does she do it? Take a peek into their lives to find out!


What brought you to homeschooling?

So many, many things! First off, I was an elementary teacher for nine years. I taught 2nd-5th grades. I absolutely loved my job and was very passionate about it, but there were many glaring faults of such a large system ran by the government. Additionally, once I had my son, my priorities changed and I didn't feel as connected to my profession as I once had. I always felt torn between being the mom I wanted to be and being the teacher I wanted to be. So, I ended up quitting teaching to open my own daycare, which naturally, led me to teaching within the daycare, and eventually, homeschooling.

The kids on their first day of school. 

What has kept you at it? 

Some days, I don't know! But, mostly, I have channeled my love of teaching and learning into my own family which is extremely rewarding. In some way, I have guided a majority of their learning and been there to see all of their "a-ha" moments. I am blessed that my children love to learn, read, and absorb knowledge. They really are eager students, which definitely helps in those tough moments.

Walk us through a typical day in your school.

We are probably different from some homeschool families because we run an in-home daycare alongside homeschooling. So, our mornings are spent welcoming the kiddos to our home, eating breakfast together, free play, then about an hour to an hour and a half of preschool activities right before lunch. Usually these activities include an engagement activity around a central theme that we have been exploring. Then, we'll read a related story, participate in a kinesthetic activity or experiment, do a craft or follow-up activity. Most of this time has been focused around letter recognition, days of the week, number sense, or other preschool standards. All daycare kiddos, as well as my own daughter, starting at about age two typically participate during this time. My son is either my "co-teacher" or he does his own thing at this time. Usually, he is right alongside helping out our littles. I love to see him teaching the little ones; he is so gentle and patient with them.

Evan's school work is mostly done in the afternoon. After lunch, we have about an hour of quiet time for the bigger kids or nap time for the littles. Then, Evan gets started on school. He is doing Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool this year and really enjoys it. It is mostly done online, but there are a lot of experiments and engaging hands-on activities as well. Typically his school work takes about 1-2 hours depending on the day. If needed, he'll take a couple ten minute breaks throughout that time. I am usually with or near him guiding him or helping if need be. He is currently capable of doing about half of his work independently, but we enjoy doing it together as well- I learn so much from teaching him!

After he is done with his work for the day, Evan & I co-teach two of the older girls, Lauren, and a 4-year-old daycare kiddo, the preschool curriculum on Easy Peasy, which is mostly literacy based right now. So, I'll supplement with some math games or other learning activities as needed. This preschool time is usually about 45 minutes or so.


Working hard and having fun!
Do you have a Secret Weapon or Hidden Gem that you'd like to share?

I don't know that it's a secret weapon, but I struggle with anxiety and have just learned that sometimes I have to relax. Rome wasn't built in a day, right?! The same goes for homeschooling, not everything will come together at once and some days, nothing does! But, I just remind myself to keep things in perspective and to not be so hard on myself if things don't work out the way I had hoped or imagined. Tomorrow is always another day to make it right.

Lauren practicing her letters in shaving cream.


Favorite moments?

I have so many! Reading with my kiddos every day is huge for us. I also love that at any point during the day I can pull my kiddos close and just cuddle them and let them know that I love them. And, I absolutely treasured teaching my son to read from infancy to now. It's been an amazing, constantly progressing and evolving process, but so incredible to get an up-front seat for!


A pajama day read-a-thon.

Biggest challenges?

The one thing that we struggle with each day is writing. Evan will fight me on him having to write the smallest of sentences just because he doesn't like to do it. So, we are working on that. Also, some days, motivation to "do school" dwindles now that I am so pregnant & exhausted! But, I typically work through that! ;)


How do you pick curriculum?

Last year, which was the first year that I was consciously homeschooling, was Evan's kindergarten year. I created all of the curriculum for him based on month-long thematic units of particular areas of interest to him or things I thought he'd enjoy. So, all of the subjects- math, science, history, literacy- were worked into one particular theme each month. I got most of my resources from various blogs, experience, teaching manuals, and, of course, pinterest. I did the same with preschool plans last year as well, while using the same themes, concentrating on different indicators for the little ones.

This year, I knew that I wouldn't be able to be so hands-on in the curriculum creation department since I am expecting and due in the middle of our school year. So, I wanted to choose a curriculum that was all there for me, which ended up being Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool. At first, I was hesitant to use an online curriculum of sorts because I didn't want the kiddos on the computer all the time. I wanted their learning to be more engaging and active. But, after looking through Easy Peasy, researching it, and learning from other families who used it, I thought that a lot of it was quite hands-on, motivating, and interactive. So, we gave it a chance. And, it has been wonderful! The children love it and are learning so much. Plus, when the baby comes, we will hopefully be able to stay reasonably on track with our school work.


Evan showing off his model of The Great Sphinx .

When do you lesson plan?

With Easy Peasy, there isn't much lesson planning that I do. Typically, on Sunday night, I take some time to look over what I anticipate Evan doing the following week and print anything that is applicable. Also, I determine if I want to make any substitutions or additions to what is planned in EP. For the preK activities, I have to devote a little more time (probably about 2 hours a week) drawing on various resources I've found and putting together what looks like a good plan for the kiddos. I do this on Sunday evening as well.


How do you homeschool while nursing/with an infant?

Since I run a daycare, I am faced with this challenge daily. Our major chunks of homeschooling times occur throughout the day when the younger kids are sleeping. For our morning preschool time, the youngest child here (18 months) is napping. Then, in the afternoon, when a bulk of our work gets done, the toddler aged kids are napping. However, I have a feeling that once January comes and I will be nursing a newborn, all of this will be up in the air!

Lauren proudly showing off some flowers she planted.


Where do you find the patience?

Some days are easier than others, but I have been blessed with a natural patience for children. And, I pray! I pray a lot!! ;)


What do you say to people who say, "I could never do that--I don't know enough about all the subjects kids need to learn!"
Evan with his tomato plant.

So far, I just kind of laugh it off and reassure them that I too, don't know everything. But, there are so many helpful resources and guides to ensure that I am not messing it up too badly!





How do you respond to,"Are you worried about the social skills your kids aren't learning by not being in a traditional classroom?"

Oh, this question! Usually, I just respond with a generic, "No, I'm not." Typically, people don't really go much further with that line of questioning. But, I have many, many thoughts that I would share if pressed. Kids don't need to be in homogeneous peer groups for a majority of their educational experiences- most adults aren't! My children are learning how to socially interact with children their own age, younger, and older than themselves. Also, school settings really aren't the best atmosphere to develop social skills. A lot of what happens in school is too structured (learning conversations) or not structured at all (recess situations). Children learn conformity in schools and rarely learn the value of uniqueness or being able to get along with all ages. Additionally, my children are learning how to get along with people of many walks of life, not those who are ultimately very similar to themselves.


How do you find balance?

This is tough. I am a perfectionist by design and it is hard for me to balance work, homeschool, being a good wife and mother. But, the bottom line is prioritizing and trying my hardest to do as well as I can at any given time in any of those arenas. Sometimes, one area demands more of my time and I have to step back and decide what I can take off of my plate for awhile. Then, the scales will shift to another area demanding more of me. It's a constant evaluation of myself and my surroundings. And I can't forget that I need time to spent solo and some time with friends, too.

The kids unwrap brand new school supplies they received during a First Day of School Scavenger Hunt. 


How do you teach your child something you don't really understand?

In these cases, we do research together. I am not ashamed to be a constant learner. In fact, my children eat it up! They love teaching me or discovering alongside me. We are all in this together.


How do you go about your schedule when you teach different grades?

It goes back to balance and prioritizing. Also, determining if there is any aspect of the different levels that can be taught using the same concept or theme, but going deeper with those in the higher grades.

Hard at work in their school space!

Do you plan to homeschool through graduation?

This question is very up-in-the-air. Right now, we are taking it year-by-year and continuing because it works best for now. I am absolutely falling more in love with homeschooling the more experience I gain, but you never know what could happen in the future.


What would you like others to know about homeschooling?

There are a lot of things I wish people understood about us as homeschoolers:
  1. We aren't weirdos or religious fanatics or eccentrics, we are just doing what we feel is best for our family at this time. 
  2. We love our children with all of our hearts and want to extend that love to their education and just to be with them as much as we possibly can! 
  3. My children are social, smart, creative beings- have a conversation with them and you will discover that beyond a doubt. 
  4. Homeschooling and public education are not foes. One is not better or worse than the other. Both are choices that families can make. 
  5. I absolutely love homeschooling and feel incredibly blessed that I have been led down this path.


The whole family celebrating the Royals' victory together. 

Thank you Gretchen for sharing your wisdom and for giving us a peek into your world!

If you'd like to be a part of the Faces of Homeschooling project, just leave a message with your contact information in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment