Thursday, December 31, 2015

Peace Out, 2015

I like 2015, as a number. I like that it ends in a nice 5. It's crisp.

I am not sure if the events of the year have reflected the crispness of the number. It's been quite a year. It had a lot of ups and downs. I think that's how I would best categorize 2015: up and downy.

We started the year with water backing up in the basement that led us to thinking about home repairs and the possibility of moving. We started the year house shopping. We even made an offer on a house! I'm glad someone beat us to the punch. We decided to hold off moving until we've got the means to make a more significant jump. No sense going through the hassle of buying, selling, and packing if we aren't moving into a place we really love.

We had our kitchen walls and cabinets painted. We had to strip down 50 year old wallpaper to do this. Please, humans,  STOP layering wallpaper on top of wallpaper. In fact, just stop with the wallpaper in general. It's not cool. We also did a lot of rearranging and shuffling of people and things. I honestly feel quite content with our house now. I like being here. I know Tim is a bit restless, so who knows where we will end up.

I ran a couple of 5Ks this year. I went to the gym regularly for a while. I ran a lot. I did weights. I felt strong. I tried a few different fitness programs and lost 15lb before crashing and burning and putting it back on. Ah, well. I started karate, which I love, and I am hoping to continue in my quest for fitness next year. Maybe something will stick better. I am going to keep searching out ways to stay active. Maybe I'll even learn to make healthy eating a habit.

The girls continued to grow and change. Lexi learned a lot this year. How to swim, ride a bike, tie her shoes.  She played softball and piano and did karate and grew three inches. Lydia came into her own as well. One of the biggest changes I noticed was with her speech. She came into the year talking like a cute toddler and is going out of the year pronouncing and enunciating like a big girl. They're clever and energetic little people with explosive imaginations, that's for sure. They aren't babies any more. They're kids. I love that.

We got another cat this year. I almost forgot that Luna has only been with us since April, it seems like she's been around forever. She's gotten huge. Arya does not like her, and it is kind of funny to watch. But I still can't get them to stop pooping in the basement, which is driving me crazy. Overall, they are worth the hassle. They sure are snuggly.

We got a new niece this year as well, and she is great! Such a happy and sweet baby. It's weird to think I didn't even know about her existence at the beginning of the year! My other niece is 2 and a half and growing like a weed as well. Her speech is exploding. She's quickly becoming more of a kid and less of a toddler. I really love them. Being an aunt is a special kind of awesome, it's a role I embrace wholeheartedly. I look forward to watching them grow and inviting them over to bake cupcakes and watch Harry Potter movies.

Speaking of him, Harry Potter rejoined my life this year, which was a welcome diversion. I began reading the first book to the girls in October and we made it through the first four books and movies before I decided to stop them for now. It's definitely going over Lydia's head and is getting a bit intense for Lexi as well. They were NOT happy with me, they love Harry. Lydia tried to get me to start re-reading them again last night. I understand. There are no other books out there that have ever made me feel the way these books do. So, of course, I've re-watched all the movies myself and am currently 300 pages into the 5th book. Y'know, so I can better determine when the girls will be ready for it.

I read a lot of books. Over 30 grown up books, and I read thousands of pages out loud. I've made time for reading again. I love it. I'm still watching my shows (I just discovered Grey's Anatomy, so excuse me while I binge watch 11 seasons of that) but I am reading more and writing too. And now I have a friend to come over and watch TV with me and I love that! It's fun to share that with another person.

I've been writing a lot. I enjoy blogging. I am trying to keep something of a handwritten journal again. I'm not as consistent as I should be. I should probably work on that in the upcoming year. Perhaps I will buy myself a nice new journal. I received a cool writing game for Christmas that has been a fun way to flex those writing muscles.

Tim and I took our first solo trip this year. It was nice. We flew to Reading, Pennsylvania for friend's wedding. It was weird and nice to be without the kids for several days. I liked it. I did miss them. I'm glad we went. It's always fun to visit a new place. I hope we get the opportunity for a family trip next year.

Tim ended the year accepting a new job within his company that will hopefully provide new challenges, build new skills, and start him on a pathway with potential for advancing. He welcomes the changes. It should be exciting. I'm really proud of him.

The more I write, the more I realize that this was a rather good year. There were more ups than downs, honestly. Nothing gigantic and overwhelming, as we've had in years past. It was a pretty steady year.

The most prominent ups and downs, for me, have been in the way I've felt. It's weird, but I finally found the words to describe it. For much of this year, the way I feel upon waking up has determined my day rather than my day determining how I feel. It's like I'm overcome by these moods and feelings that seem to weasel deep into my brain without cause. It's frustrating, because that means I can feel super angry or super sad for no reason. I'm tired of it. I've been to several different doctors and tried several things, looking for causes and solutions. Yesterday, I spent a total of 3 hours at my doctor's office. I waited for nearly 2, then spent some time hashing things out with my doctor. He was worth the wait. We've got a plan, and I'm hoping it works.

2015.

It's been a good year. We are very blessed. I can't believe it is nearly over.

2016.

I don't like the number as much as the nice solid 2015, but I think I will like the year.

I hope it will be full of family adventures, books, laughter, travel, and challenges. I want to grow. I want to maintain a healthier lifestyle. I hope I will feel more consistent. I hope Tim finds satisfaction in his job. And more money, to tell the truth. That never hurts! Perhaps in a year we will even be in a new house.

So, peace out, 2015.

Bring it on, 2016.

I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment