Sunday, September 11, 2016

Understanding and Calmversations

It's the 15th anniversary of 9/11. I was a freshman in high school, in math class, when I got the news about what had happened. Later in seminar, we watched the footage. The rest of the day, the teachers tried to keep everything as close to normal as possible. I remember a friend calling me that night, saying that gas prices were up to $5 per gallon. I remember writing a poem about the events of the day, my teenage attempt to make sense of unspeakable acts. I wish I knew where it was.

Today in church, our pastor talked about politics. He shared an excerpt from an article where the person was saying how we Americans were very united after 9/11, but then slowly went back to our normal selves, divided over different issues.

During this political season, it is easy to judge others. I am guilty of reading Facebook posts or seeing what my friends like or discuss and judging beliefs that don't align with mine. I attempt to keep my political beliefs to myself, unless I am with friends who I know agree with my views. I don't want to fight with anyone or be judged or have to explain myself. Sometimes I feel like we will never see eye to eye. Sometimes I worry that people won't like me if they know the truth about what I believe. 

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of talking politics with a friend who believes differently than I do. It was eye-opening. We not only explained our beliefs, but we explained the life circumstances that led us to feel the way that we do. I gained SO much insight and perspective from this simple conversation. I learned so much about my friend and about how someone could feel so differently than me on some things, but still be a person that I really enjoy and relate to. 

I wish we were able to have more conversations like these. Calmversations. Discussions where we seek to understand each other. 

Today, on this day of remembering how we as a nation have been unified through tragedy, I implore you. Take the time to talk to someone whose beliefs are different from yours. Learn about the life experiences that led them to believe the way they do. Share the experiences you had that led you to your beliefs. Seek to understand rather than judge. Remember to love. Have a calmversation. 

I invite your questions about my beliefs and experiences. I am open to calmversations involving politics and other taboo topics, for the sake of growth and understanding. 

Let us love one another. Let us be unified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment