Saturday, October 10, 2015

The best I can do

An update on my attempt to consume less sugar.

I received several responses and recommendations based on my previous post. One told me I am not alone in my struggle. Another told me that I'm putting my healthy and risk and that I really need to stop eating so much sugar.  A third had a book recommendation for me. I appreciate all feedback, constructive and encouraging alike. 

Yes, I've struggled.  I've eaten junk trying in an attempt to quash the sugar craving.  I had pizza and McDonald's. I ate the brownie in a moment of defeat and weakness.

But I've had success too.

I said no to cinnamon rolls at church.

I said no to cider donuts, ice cream and other fair ground goodies at the Cider Mill.

I repeatedly said no to the package of Starburst Jellybeans innocently winking at me whenever I open the cabinet.  (Did you know they sold them year round? I bought them as a bribe for the kids, I swear!)

I thought it would be wise to see how many grams of sugar health experts recommend I consume each day. I did some googling.

No more than 25 grams are recommended per day for women. 

This led me to start looking at packages. 

What I found was scary!

I realized that I get more than half that amount in my coffee creamer alone. And that's just one cup. Usually I have two. Yikes.  

There are 12g of sugar in the packet of oatmeal I've been having for breakfast each day.  Sixteen grams in a container of yogurt.  7g in sprinkling of granola.  15g in vegetable soup.  Vegetable soup!!

I wonder if these "hidden" sources of sugar are playing into my problem.  I thought by cutting back on desserts and sweets I was doing well, but I may need to completely reevaluate my diet. I don't love cooking so I've come to lean heavily on easy to prepare foods. I cook dinner almost every night, but lunch and breakfast are easy grab meals around here, at least for me. 

To tell the truth, I'm not sure if I can be someone who counts things out for the rest of my life. 
In fact, I know that that's not who I want to be. I've done that before. I've counted calories. And while it is effective in weight loss, it is agonizing. 

I have two little girls watching my every move. Do I really want them to see me counting calories? 

I need to really think about how to proceed with this. 

Perhaps rather than counting calories or grams of sugar, I just need to add in more fresh fruits and veggies. Instead of a packet of oatmeal for breakfast, I can cook eggs. I can have my favorite knock-off Olive Garden salad for lunch. I can add less creamer to my coffee, or just drink less coffee in general. I think I can stick with the idea of eating fewer desserts. 

I can take more walks. 

I was feeling a bit discouraged about this whole thing, then I got a notification from my Fitbit. I hit my step goal five days in a row, which is the longest streak I've had in months! 

Wellness is a journey. I don't believe it will look the same for everyone. We are all different. Some of us have kids that run us ragged leaving us exhausted and ready to crawl into bed at 9pm.  Some of us don't. 

Some of us have the money for a gym membership or a personal trainer. Some of us do not. 

Some of us love to look at eat exotic recipes, while others of us are pickier, or more tired, or less willing to make separate meals for children who turn up their nose at anything with sauce. 

I'm going to eat fewer desserts.

I'm going to take more walks.

I'm going to cook more during the day.

But I am not going to feel guilty about eating the last brownie, or getting fast food on a crazy night, or eating sugary vegetable soup for lunch. Maybe sugar is bad for my body, but guilt is bad for my heart. 

I'm doing the best that I can to live well in all arenas of my life. Physical health. Mental wellness. Spirituality. Body and heart and soul.

I'm doing the best I can. 

And that's all anyone can ever do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment